Munich Community Music Center (English)
Prof. Dr. Alexandra Kertz-Welzel
Dr. Tobias Emanuel Mayer
Eva Rabak, M.A.
Monika Unterreiner, M.A.
Contact: Prof. Dr. Alexandra Kertz-Welzel
Based in the institute of music education at Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich, the Munich Community Music Center (MCMC) acts as a conduit for research, education and practice in community music. Located within the department of the arts and as part of the Munich Arts Research Centre (MARC), the MCMC is committed to establishing community music as a field of research and practice in Germany. In order to achieve this goal, the MCMC operates within five distinct strands:
- Adapt the concept of community music in a way that is useful for German music education.
- Establish community music as a field of research in German music education.
- Critically reflect and examine the development of community music in Germany and internationally.
- Encourage and provide support for new scholars (Masters, PhD) and students interested in investigating community music projects or developing theoretical frameworks.
- Further develop appropriate strategies and methods for research, including arts-based research, practice-as research, ethnography, narrative research, and case study.
- Disseminate findings through publications and performance.
- Organize symposia and lectures.
- Recordings of the presentations at the Symposium 2013.
- Provide performance opportunities for local or national community music groups.
- Offer music workshopsProvide support and advice for projects.
- Connect local and national community music groups.
- Facilitate exchange between local community music groups.
- Create a database of interesting community music groups in Munich and Germany.
- Source and catalogue funding opportunities.
- Organize skill-based workshops for students, teachers and musicians.
- Connect local musicians with professionals and teachers.
- Integrate practices and principles of community music into the curriculum of the music teacher education program and life long learning activities at LMU.
- Provide performance space at the institute of music education at LMU for local community music groups.
- Work with schools using the practices and principles of community music.
- Provide consultation for those wishing to develop projects.
For further reading
- Kertz-Welzel, Alexandra. "Community Music oder die Faszination des Nicht-Lernens." In: Handbuch Musiklernen, edited by Wilfried Gruhn and Peter Röbke. Esslingen: Helbling Verlag (2017; in preparation).
- Kertz-Welzel, Alexandra. "Daring to question: a philosophical critique of community music." Philosophy of Music Education Review 24, no. 2 (2016): 113-130.
- Lohmann, David. "Improvisation statt Perfektion. Community Music." MünchnerUni Magazin (MUM) 2 (2016): 24-25. Available online.
- Kertz-Welzel, Alexandra. "Community Music oder: Musik für alle." Neue Musikzeitung (NMZ) 9 (2015): 34. Available online.
- Kertz-Welzel, Alexandra. "Community Music: Ein internationales Konzept erobert Deutschland." Musikschule Direkt 2 (2014): 10-12. Available online.
- Kertz-Welzel, Alexandra. "Internationalizing and localizing: shaping community music in Germany." International Journal of Community Music 6, no. 3 (2013): 263-272.
- Kertz-Welzel, Alexandra. "Shaping community music in Germany." Sounding Board: The Journal of Community Music 2 (2013): 9-11.
- Lichtinger, Jörg. "Gegenentwurf zur Hochkultur." Neue Musikzeitung (NMZ) 4 (2013). Available online.